PLOUGHSHARE & PRUNING HOOK
VOLUME 1 NUMBER 3 JUNE 1996
The Ploughshare & Pruning Hook is published each month at Winchester, California by the Winchester Historical Society of Pleasant Valley. The purpose of the newsletter is tp keep the public informed about our society and the history of Winchester and the surrounding areas.
WINCHESTER HISTORICAL SOCIETY NOTES
WATER EXHIBIT A SUCCESS
PIONEER PICNIC DISPLAY
The WINCHESTER HISTORICAL SOCIETY had a very exciting month. Our display at the old train station entitled "Water Then & Now" received a great amount of attention. We thank all of the fine people at the Hemet Area Museum Association for allowing us to display our history. There is a possibility that the display will be featured at the Farmers Fair in Perris in July.
The 27th of May (MEMORIAL DAY) saw the displaying of some of our history at the annual PIONEER PICNIC. This event brings many of the old timers from all over the U.S.A. back to the San Jacinto Valley for an annual re- union. We were able to meet some families who had their roots here in the Winchester area. We also were able to display some old photographs on LOAN to us from Helen Bruce Richardson of Riverside. The photos have been sent to our local reproducer of photos, the OLD PHOTO CO. Of Hemet. Marilyn is doing her usual fine job of making negatives for our society.
Contributions of money this month added to our general fund and our research and publications fund. Generous contributions in memory of FRED DOMENIGONI BRINGS OUR GENERAL ACCOUNT TO $1467 and funds donated to our other account brings our total to $117.26.
We wish to also send belated birthday wishes to HELEN RHEINIGANS who celebrated her birthday in May. Helen taught school in Winchester and had her roots in Auld Valley. Many more Helen from all your friends.
The next meeting of the WINCHESTER HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF PLEASANT VALLEY will be held JUNE 17, 1996 at the Winchester Methodist Church Annex. The annex is located on Winchester Road (Highway 79) and Taylor Street in downtown Winchester.
TIDBITS FROM HISTORY
08-16-1888 Fire started east of Diamond Valley by farmer E. F. Hopkinson. Fire burns near the farms owned by
R. P. Winters and the Reid place.
03-17-1889 Slight earthquake felt in the A. M.
09-21-1889 Dance held at Domenigoni Building in San Jacinto.
10-10-1889 Rev. Sowden of South Riverside (Corona) appointed pastor of the Winchester Methodist Church. A building committee is created to build a parsonage
01-03-1889 40 people partake of communion at the Winchester Methodist Church.
01-17-1889 Mr. Stillman moves into his new brick house on Willard Street.
01-24-1889 Mrs. Rice in charge of the Winchester Hotel.
04-04-1889 Chester Haslam arrives in Pleasant Valley. William Haslam Sr. is visiting San Diego.
10-17-1889 four room parsonage nears completion with only the roof to finish at the Winchester Methodist Church.
IN ORDER TO PLAN THE FUTURE
WE MUST PRESERVE THE PAST