Pictured at left is the stations north side as it appeared in 1908. Note the boxcars on the siding behind the station and Tilla Patterson Hudson standing in front with Willard and Alice Patterson the children of Clarence and Angie Patterson. Almost all shots of the station have Tilla's nieces or nephews in them.
At left is a picture of the freight wagon taken sometime in the late 1930's showing some local children. In the background is one of many grain warehouses that were in Winchester.
Tilla is shown here standing outside the station reading a book. This picture was probably taken some time between 1912 and 1914 while she was serving the community as a librarian. The County of Riverside at one time delivered books by rail to outlying communities.
Left is shown the south side of the depot again with a Patterson child to the right side.
Shown below is the layout of the 20 X 60 foot station.
Built in 1890 with an open date of Nov. 4, 1890 this station served the community and surrounding areas until 1930.
The only station agent was Tilla Patterson Hudson who also served as Western Union telegrapher and Wells Fargo agent. In 1889, before a station was ever built the "boxcar" station there shipped over 200,000 bags of grain.
For more train pictures and information click on the kid